The PastLOOKING BACK
The Villa Seligmann
In the beginning of the 20th century, Sigmund Seligmann builds a prestigious villa in Hohenzollernstrasse in Hannover, amidst a spacious garden. He chooses Hermann Schaedler of Hannover as architect. As one of the few evidences left of Jewish bourgeoisie in Hannover before the shoah, the Villa with its great hall and the many rooms offers the ideal place for documentation, research and communication of Jewish music. There is room for instruments and concerts, exhibitions, presentations and lectures.
By the end of 2006, the Sigmund Seligman Foundation purchased the building, and on 17th January 2012, it was opened to the public. Ten years later, the Foundation has developed into an institution with a definite impact on cultural life in Hannover, well known beyond the limits of the capital of Lower Saxony. The beaming Villa Seligmann has become like a light house for Jewish spiritual music and offers an international forum for meeting people regardless where they come from, their religion or cultural background.
In 1876 the Jewish banker Sigmund Seligmann (born on August 19, 1853 in Verden/Aller, died on October 12, 1925 in Hannover) joins the company “Continental Caoutchouc- und Gutta-Percha-Compagnie”. Three years later he serves already on the Board of Directors. Under his management, Continental develops into a world-famous company. In 1923, he is awarded honorary citizenship of Hannover. In 1910, Sigmund Seligmann has his portrait painted by the painter Max Liebermann. Today the picture can be seen in the Villa Seligmann on permanent loan by the descendants of Siegmund Seligmann.
© 2019 Villa Seligmann